Thursday, January 31, 2013

Plotting

I am taking a short story writing class. And it's been pretty cool. My teacher is nice, my class is small, and I get to write fiction. The only thing I've been struggling with? Plotting.

Every week we are required to write a plot outline for a short story. We don't end up writing said story, just the outline. And if ever I've discovered I can't plot unless I have a concrete idea, this is it. I have been looking around my room looking for ideas, and when I'm done with the outlines I never want to look at them again.

Sure, I have a sort-of outline for Origins. But there is a lot of room for interpretation. I have the large events and motivations for my characters. I don't have a lot of space for the ones I do for class. They're only supposed to be a page long.

So, I'm still solidly in the half outliner half pantser camp.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, yes! This! I remember doing creative writing in grade six, and it was so *structured*. We did plot outlines, chapter by chapter, and character descriptions, and all this stuff, and I hated it, I couldn't come up with anything good and what I did put down sucked. And it completely turned me off writing fiction for years and years (despite that I used to write stories on my own prior to that). Now that I'm writing on my own terms I discover it's because I'm a pantser. I'm figuring my grade six teacher wasn't a writer herself and was just following the curriculum, but I wish teachers who do actual creative writing courses could acknowledge that for some people plotting just doesn't work, but that doesn't mean they can't write a story.

    ReplyDelete