Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Opinion on Journals

I've taken several writing courses by this point in my education, and one thing I've noticed is that teachers always recommend a journal to write down ideas. And I'm split.

Yes, it's nice to have a place to write down ideas or images as they come to you. But honestly? I do just fine without one, too. During the day my mind is so caught up in school and social life and just regular living that I don't have time to whip out a journal every time I see something cool. If it's neat enough, it'll stay with me long enough to get back home and type it up. If not, then it probably wasn't worth.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I know several writers who use journals in day-to-day life. I am just not one of them.

2 comments:

  1. I've never been a journaler either. I just scribble down ideas in the moment, on whatever scrap of paper I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I only ever write about ideas that really stick with me. A book takes so freaking long to write that I have to mull over the idea for quite a while before I even start.

    But who knows. Maybe in a few years I'll be sad I didn't have that journal.

    ReplyDelete