Friday, January 4, 2013

Old Friend

My first novel was originally 119k. I have since queried it, received many a form rejection letter, edited it, submitted and gone on to the second round of the ABNA contest, and edited some more. Then I shelved Griffin's Song for a while to focus on my third novel Balancing Act. It took longer than I expected and it wasn't until August that I finished the first draft. Then came the beginning of a new school year and then NaNoWriMo.

All in all, Griffin's Song has gathered some dust. Now at a much more reasonable 87k, I am not quite ready to shelve this novel. Perhaps it's sentimentality. Or perhaps because it's a good book. Whatever the reason a few days ago I opened Griffin's Song and began to read it again. I edited a good 70 pages before I got tired. 

I still think it's a good book. Do I intend to query it? I'm not sure. I know I want to focus on Origins in the coming months, but I also want to keep editing Griffin's Song. I'm still in love with the characters.

When have you decided to shelve a book?

No comments:

Post a Comment