Friday, December 14, 2012

Shatter Me

Silly me, I thought I would last till Christmas with only three books. Those three books are now read cover to cover, and I had to go back to my dorm and pick up other ones. Today's candidate - Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi.

13455782
Retrieved from Goodreads
It has been 264 days since Juliette was locked in an asylum for having a lethal touch. Then she gets removed from the asylum by the Reestablishment so they can use her as a torture device. Her only friend is Adam, who she knew as a child and is now a solider for the Reestablishment. Juliette must try to resist being used so she can keep her sanity, and at the same time is getting closer and closer to Adam, who for some reason is the only person she can touch without killing.

Things I loved about this book: The psychological opening. The terror Juliette feels about this power she can't control and the ramifications of being hated for her power and also being incapable of being touched. Ever. Scary thought, right? Also, Warner, the head of a sector of the Reestablishment. He was soooo twisted, I wanted to see more of him. And the last half of the book. Loved it.

Things that I didn't really love: Parts of the writing style. While I have grown to have an appreciation for poetry, I think this book relied very heavily on metaphor and it clogged up the story line. And some of them didn't even make sense to me. That was a biggy with me. Also, lack of explanations. While the last half of the book totally redeemed itself in my eyes, I was a little angry that there was no speculation about HOW Juliette had a lethal touch. There was tons of "Why" but no "How."

Would sorta recommend, because of the premise and the last half. And the steamy romance. Adam is fiiiine.

Goodreads Rating: 3 stars

1 comment:

  1. Nice review - I haven't read this one yet, but have heard some great things.

    ReplyDelete