Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Firelight

School breaks are exhausting, simply because I don't know what to do with myself. During the summers I work. During short breaks I generally travel. During long medium breaks? No idea what to do. So today I laid around, watched movies, and read Firelight by Sophie Jordan.

6448470
Retrieved from Goodreads
At first I wasn't sure I'd like this book. The first few pages started out sort of immaturely. I can't think of another way of putting it. Something that would be cool in a movie but just didn't fly well with me. But as the book went on I came to like it.

Jacinda is a fire-breathing Draki, a human who can change into a type of dragon when stressed or threatened. And she's the first fire-breather in her pride in several generations. When her recklessness sends her and her family fleeing from the pride, she fears she'll be doomed to stop manifesting and become a human permanently. It's certainly what her mother and sister hope for. They enroll in high school and try to be normal. But Jacinda doesn't want to be normal. And the Draki inside her stirs when she's around Will, a hunter of her kind who doesn't realize what she is.

The idea of Draki is awesome, and I loved how many threads there were in this relatively short book. Jacinda clearly loves her family and is always struggling between wanting to be a Draki and letting her family be normal. I wasn't a fan of how often Jacinda changed her mind. Every other page, it seemed like. I felt like it stalled the conclusion. But I will definitely be picking up the sequel, Vanish.

Goodreads Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment