Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Eyre Affair

Okay, so I know I said I was taking a break from blogging because I've been so busy, but I just finished a great book and wanted to tell you all about it! The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde is amazing. But we'll get to that.

6564856
Retrieved from Goodreads
Thursday Next lives in a time where the line between fiction and reality is warped. Literature is of the greatest importance, with riots over too modern interpretations of Shakespeare and the like. Thursday is in her thirties with a rather stodgy career as a LiteraTec in the Special-Operations 27th department. She finds criminals trying to pass off fakes of important manuscripts. Until she is pulled into the theft of the original manuscript of Martin Chuzzlewit by the third most evil man in the world: Acheron Hades. Soon Thursday is running through time trying to capture and kill Hades before he ruins great works of literature. Because, you see, if you make a change in an original manuscript, it changes them all, and Hades isn't afraid to kill fictional characters.

It took me several weeks to work through this book. It was recommended by a friend, and he lent me his signed copy. Well I was so tired of working that I sat down and polished off the last 150 pages today. The writing in this book is quirky. It jokes with itself. A character whose identity is constantly being changed is named Felix Tabularasa. There is a constant debate about who actually wrote Shakespeare's plays. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes classic literature and alternate history with sci-fi slants. I'll be picking up the next in the series after finals.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment