Sunday, December 23, 2012

City of Fallen Angels

Sorry for the radio silence, guys. I was on vacation out of state and only had access to a computer when I was so tired I only had the energy to watch some Frasier before falling asleep to the sound of a faulty hotel fan. But I'm back with a review of the fourth book in Casandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series, which has been described as a second trilogy.
6752378
Retrieved from Goodreads

The Mortal War is over. Simon is a Daylighter vampire with the Mark of Cain which makes it impossible for him to be attacked without the attacker turning to salt. Alec is abroad with Magnus (he wears lederhosen, it's pretty funny), and Clary can finally call Jace her boyfriend (you know, since they discovered they weren't related after all). But things have hardly died down. Someone is trying to create more demon children, and people keep trying to attack and recruit Simon. And Jace is having dreams of hurting Clary which are slowly driving him crazy.

This book was light reading and definitely could have been shortened. I shouldn't have been able to put it down during the big climactic scene but I did several times. The ending, of course, was great and I'll be picking up City of Lost Souls as soon as it comes out in paperback. There were the witty one-liners you expect and enjoy in Clare's work, and some steamy stuff between Clary and Jace. Overall though I just felt things moved really slowly, even considering the book takes place over a couple weeks. Not my favorite of Clare's books, but still filling.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about this one - I enjoyed it, but it just didn't sweep me up the way the first three did. I didn't feel like a whole lot happened for the length of the book. Book five was an improvement, but I still feel the first three were better.

    ReplyDelete