Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Tattoos And Debuts

As I have yet to do anything worthwhile in the book world this week besides realize I'd picked up the novellas accompanying I Am Number Four instead of the actual novel, I have a little philosophical post for today.

Tattoos are a lot like debut novels. You want them to be important, and mean something. You don't want to be that person who has a cartoon character on your forearm where everyone can see it, when you know in five years you'll be interviewing for a job and they'll give a confused look and politely shake your hand as you are bowed out of the office.

Debut novels are an author's chance to make a first impression. And I think that's why a lot of the time we writers freak out about which novel we want to have published first. Because it can determine the genre you'll be writing in for a while, especially if it's the first in a series. Our fans will recognize us for that genre, and probably expect it from us. Generally only the J K Rowlings and Kiersten Whites and Lauren Olivers can change genres. They're popular enough that their fan base will follow them from genre to genre. Most of us can't do that. I include myself in "us" because I am an optimist. I am not published. But I will be!

Think before you ink, and before you publish that debut!

1 comment:

  1. Really good point, and one that I think not many beginning writers put a lot of thought into. Perhaps oftentimes because they only have one book to choose from, and/or they've been told ad nauseum to "write what you love".

    This was really only something I started thinking about as I was moving on to my next book from Magestone. I had two completed manuscripts I could choose from to start editing, and I went with Secrets instead of 619 because I thought Secrets better represented the sort of story I foresaw myself telling in subsequent works (even if I didn't yet know what those next works would be about). As a first impression it was more accurate than 619 would've been.

    ReplyDelete