Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Scorpio Races

It took me over a week to read this book. Who knew University would be so tiring? I'm loving my classes, and the teachers seem nice and encouraging. So last night, after I'd finished my homework, I sat down and finished off The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater.

10626594
Retrieved from Goodreads
I'd heard through the grapevine that this book was incredible, but that it starts off slow. I ended up agreeing. The cast of characters was well fleshed out, and the setting was impeccable. It just took a while for the ball to start rolling.

Puck Connolly lost her parents a year ago, and since then she's been struggling with her two brothers to get by on their meager wages. She loves to horseback ride more than anything. Sean Kendrick is a four time winner of the Scorpio Races, a vicious annual race in which the meat eating water horses run along the beach on the day they want to return to it the most. Puck's brother is about to leave for the mainland, and if she doesn't win, she'll lose the house. Sean wants to be free of his employer Malvern, but he wants to bring Corr, his water horse, with him. If he doesn't win, he'll lose both his job and Corr.

My favorite part of this novel was the interaction between Puck and Sean. They interact during practices, and eventually form a strange friendship. By the end of the book I didn't know who I wanted to win. And that's great. I wasn't sure what ending would make me happiest, and the one that happened almost made me cry. Puck and Sean had very distinct personalities, which were evident not just in their words. I would definitely recommend it.

Goodreads Rating: 5 stars
Next up: Throne of Glass by Sarah Maas

2 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad you enjoyed it! It makes me happy when I hear others liked it as much as I did. I lent it to my sister, a horse-lover, and she loved it so much she lent it on to a horsey friend of hers.

    I'll be interested to read your review of Throne of Glass. It's currently on my ereader, and it's got a pretty good Goodreads rating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Scorpio Races and just recently read ToG! They actually have some similarities (I mostly refer to pacing) and I think you'll really enjoy it. Great love triangle I must say!
    As for The Scorpio Races I totally agree that in the end I wasn't sure what outcome was the right one. I think mostly because we get to see so much from Sean's view. He's not the main character, but he is a main character. And then I got to the ending and it was this oh yeah! moment where I was just saying to myself.
    "Perfect."
    Oh and I might have cried beautiful tears as well. I'm reading Raven Boys now btw!

    dapolkabot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete