Monday, October 1, 2012

In Which I Rant

I don't often let my temper get the better of me. In fact I have never, to my knowledge, yelled at someone. This of course excluding when I was a small child and yelling was the "in thing to do." And I am not often tempted by anger. What will get me going though, is that condescending little smile I get when someone asks me what my major is, and I say "History and English."

They don't get it. They think I don't know that I won't make a lot of money on this path. They think I don't understand that there aren't many jobs in this field. They think I'm stupid because I chose to go into humanities instead of something like computer science or engineering.

Well, they'd be wrong. I'm very aware that the chances of making it big in the publishing game are slim. That's why I'm honing my craft now so when I do get published (and I will) it will be not a good book, but a great book. I know there aren't many jobs available. That's why I'm looking into internships, and getting as much editing experience under my belt as possible. And, as for being stupid? I took math and science all through high school, staying a year ahead of where I was supposed to be. I am not an idiot. I choose to study English and History because those are the subjects I love. And in the words of Confucius, "choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

I love writing, editing, and history. That is all.

4 comments:

  1. I know that look you mean. It's not dissimilar to the one you get when you tell people you're writing a novel(s). The assumption is lousy till shown talented, failure till proven successful, unemployable till a job is found. And, I mean, fair enough - a lot of people don't make it for lack of either talent, drive or opportunity, and they have no idea if the person they're talking to will be one of the ones who does. But I kinda wish people could recognize the interest instead of focusing on the prospects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nuff said.

    dapolkabot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't let them get to you. I majored in Public Relations and History, and loved it. I did a blog post a while back about how much it really does continue to influence me. Check it out! http://nicole-singer.blogspot.com/2011/09/chase-your-passions.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being myself a proud possessor of a History/English double major degree from the U.W., Heather, I assure you, I heard the same things you are throughout my college years, and I applaud you staying the course. My road has taken me many places, but among the titles I've held are teacher, editor, and librarian, and I love all the careers and job opportunities my degrees have made possible. Furthermore, I love all the conversations I've had, the thoughts I've thought, the words I've written, and the ideas I've encountered as a result of those degrees and where they've taken me. So don't back down -- not that you would! -- and keep doing all those things you're doing to chart a course for the rest of your life. If you ever need a librarian's help or advice, let me know. :-) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete