Monday, October 8, 2012

I'm Not Weird, I'm Quirky

So this weekend I went home for the first time since arriving back at university. And what did I do, might you ask? I made cookies, crocheted, did homework, and wrote. I nearly doubled the word count of Origins, and meanwhile snacked on peanut butter and nutella cookies. Can you say yum? Because I can.

Today I read an interesting post over on Natalie Whipple's blog about writing standalone novels. She says that she's a bit scared of debuting with a standalone when the YA market is dominated by series. I completely agree. Most of the books I have in my mind are standalones. For those of you who have been with me for a while, this includes Balancing Act (complete), Water Dance and Fire Crackle (incomplete), and Wings (incomplete). My first two books are part of a duology.

Origins is the first time I've decided, and even outlined, a trilogy. My mind generally doesn't work that far in advance. I like to be surprised by my characters and where they're going. But Origins hit me like a train and demanded I give it more attention than one book. I now have twenty pages just of character profiles and outlines, which I spent this weekend refining a bit.

While most people would go out into the big world, especially with the gorgeous weather we've been having here in the Pacific Northwest, I stayed inside and finished off the first chapter of Origins.

2 comments:

  1. Double yum for the PB and Nutella! A good weekend of writing is pretty much the most awesome way to spend a weekend. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how different authors tend to write one way or the other, isn't it? I read that post by Natalie, too. I keep trying to write a standalone but every time I get close to the end it becomes apparent it's more than one book. The closest I've gotten is 619 which has an open ending that invites a sequel but I don't plan to write one. :p

    ReplyDelete