Saturday, September 1, 2012

Sweet Evil

Over the past few days I've been focusing on finishing The Return of the King, but I took a break to read Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins. I know I said I would be reviewing Eyes Like Stars next, but it didn't grab my mood. I needed something dark and compelling.

Sweet Evil definitely delivered. It follows Annie, who can remember all the way back to her birth and can see people's changing emotions as colors swirling around them. All of her senses are enhanced, and she doesn't know why. But the secrets start to come out the night she meets drummer Kaiden. Annie is half demon, a Nephilim, and she is the daughter of the Duke of Substance Abuse. This means she has an uncommon draw towards drugs and alcohol, something she has struggled with her entire goody-two-shoes life. She is also drawn to Kaiden, a fellow Nephilim, and the son of the Duke of Lust.

I loved Annie. She was so...good. She reminded me of America in The Selection. Even as she starts to embrace the devil in herself to escape detection of the Dukes, she believes the best in people. And I loved the things with the colors that indicate emotion. It's something I wish I could do. I would definitely recommend it. Push past the first couple chapters because they're a bit slow, but it's smooth sailing from there.

Goodreads Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment