Monday, September 3, 2012

The Return of the King

Okay, so my eyes have been starting to ache from all the reading I'm doing, so I decided to listen to The Return of the King on disc. I love audio books. They are great for car rides or when your mind is too tired to even focus on a page.

The Return of the King was a great finale to the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I enjoyed it much more than The Two Towers, partly because there was less trudging through harsh land with no hope ahead. There was some, mind you, but it didn't feel like there was as much.

My favorite part would have to be the last few chapters, when Merry, Pippin, Frodo, and Sam return to the Shire and set everything right. By the end of the book I had that swelling happy sensation. The ending made sense, and it was well written. And I felt joy for the characters I had come to love along the way. Pippin for his ever-happy nature and wise-cracking. Merry for his devotion and kind heart. Sam for his stalwart companionship and practicality. And Frodo for his pain, and determination to do the right thing even if it kills him.

I can now officially say that I've read The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and just polished off my 27th book of the summer. I have an eye exam in a week.

Goodreads Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment