Sunday, September 9, 2012

Clockwork Prince

A couple days ago I went to the ophthalmologist and discovered that my eyes have gotten worse since I got glasses last year. Not surprising, as I've been reading and writing with a vengeance. And what did I do to celebrate needing glasses full time? I read Clockwork Prince, the sequel to Clockwork Angel by Casandra Clare.


10025305
Retrieved from Goodreads
Clockwork Prince follows Jem, Will, Tessa, and their fellows at the London Institute of demon fighting Shadowhunters, as they race against the clock to find Mortmain, also known as the Magister, who is building a clockwork army to destroy all Shadowhunters. Also, Benedict Lightwood is trying to take over the Institute by claiming a woman cannot capably run it, and Tessa is further confused by her attraction to Jem and Will. One boy is dying, the other pushes her away at every turn, but wants her just the same.

I have read a lot of Clare's work this summer, and this book left me feeling much like City of Ashes - just slightly underwhelmed. There's some great character interactions, and I laughed out loud a few times. And the development of the V between Tessa, Will, and Jem makes complete sense to me. But.... not much happens. And when not much happens in a near-500 page book, I'm disappointed. I will certainly be picking up Clockwork Princess because of the ending. Gah, the ending was good.

Goodreads Rating: 3 stars
Next up: A Million Suns by Beth Revis

3 comments:

  1. Love the new blog look! I've gotta get around to reading Cassandra Clare's stuff. I've heard so many great things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nicole! She's a good writer - some very funny moments. I'd highly recommend her Mortal Instruments series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a bit underwhelmed by this one, too; a lot of reviewers were saying how torn up they were ("Cassie, how could you DO that to us??"), and I expected something more to happen than did. But, yes - still very much looking forward to Clockwork Princess!

    ReplyDelete