Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Building

I am somewhere between a pantser and an outliner. I get an idea and I just go with it, but I like to outline on the side so I know where I'm going. But at the moment I am going full outline mode. Why? Because I think I've found my next project, and it's a sci-fi trilogy. What does that mean? Lots and lots of research. I'm writing out character sketches, backstories for every major character, doing general plot outlining for each book. And I've been reading up on telekinesis, neurotransmitters, astigmatisms, and Hell's Kitchen.

This is new for me. I'm not sure why I'm not just leaping into the writing. But something about the story tells me I'm going to want to plan it out. I want to know my characters inside and out before I put fingers to keyboard.

I'll tell you more about the idea later on, once I've determined I'm going to stick with it. It's been a busy few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Haha. The "Hell's Kitchen" was a bit of a non sequitur. Sounds intriguing!

    I've been feeling like I should outline a bunch of my next story, too, but I'm actually thinking it's me feeling nervous about pantsing when really I should just trust in my subconscious because I've done it four times already and it always comes out okay. Possibly also that I've been reluctant to just sit down and start drafting while my current WIP is still unfinished, and outlining is an outlet for my creative drive.

    ReplyDelete