Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Throne of Fire

It's been two months since I read The Red Pyramid and after reading the sequel I'm beating myself up over not getting it sooner. To be blunt, Rick Riordan is a damn good writer. It takes some serious skill to make me care about an ugly dwarf in a Hawaiian t-shirt and a speedo.

The Throne of Fire starts up a few months after The Red Pyramid ends. Sadie and Carter Kane are recording the events of the days leading up to the March equinox, the day when the giant god of Chaos breaks from his prison and swallows the sun. Not light material, but I laughed a lot while reading. I connect so much with Sadie, who feels guilty about wanting time to be a normal girl when the world might end, and confusion about why everything awful seems to happen to her. Which, seriously, it does. Carter really comes into his own in the sequel, taking up the title of leader quite well. There's a host of new characters in addition to the old favorites.

I loved the style, I loved the powerful ending that almost made me feel as if I'd received a copy of the tape recording and could help save the Earth from Apophis (evil snake god of Chaos). I loved the snarky quips by Sadie, and the Captain Obvious-ness of Carter. I laughed, I almost cried, and the action never ever stops.

Read it. Now. Seriously.

Goodreads Rating: 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I was hoping you'd review this one too. The series remains one of my favorites for all the reasons you list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're enjoying the reviews :) And I can't wait to read The Serpent's Shadow!!

    ReplyDelete