Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Selection

Okay, I'll admit it: I bought this book because of the dress on the front. It's huge and frilly and so over the top, but I just love the colors. And the story. I was surprised by how much I liked the story. At first I didn't think I would. But I'll get to that later.

The novel by Kiera Cass follows America Singer, a level five, an artisan in the new regime. And she's in love with a six, which would mean marrying beneath her. But stranger things have happened. Now the crown prince is in need of a bride, and as per tradition 35 girls are "randomly" Selected to compete for his hand in marriage. America is Selected, and hates it. But she finds herself drawn to Prince Maxon, as a friend of course. He's too stiff and tight laced for her, and she's already had her heart broken.

Okay, I'm going to start with my downsides first because then my positives will make more sense. I thought at first that there was too much of a parallel between America and Katniss of the Hunger Games. Giving up her family to do something she doesn't want to do in order to get them money in their poorer district... I mean Province. And I couldn't get my mind wrapped around the genre. It seemed like a cross between a dystopian, a period novel, and the Bachelor. It was frustrating.

And then, all of a sudden...I stopped caring. Why? Because I fell in love with America and Maxon. America was a genuinely nice girl, honest and kind, and intelligent . I feel a lot of the time intelligence is sacrificed for kindness in characters, but not in America. And Maxon...well he's certainly my type, and not without his flaws. I finished this book in one day. It has fun dresses and rebel movements and competition for love.

When does the sequel come out?

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment