Sunday, August 19, 2012

Love Story

This is the first novel I've read this summer that is a traditional contemporary romance. It follows Erin, a broke aspiring Creative Writing major in New York city. She was originally the heiress to a multi-million dollar horse farm in Kentucky, but when she told her grandma she intended to pursue a career as a writer she was cut off.

Erin channels her frustrated attraction for Hunter, a stable boy with whom she's had a strained relationship over the years, into a short story for a class. The day it's read aloud happens to be the day Hunter joins the class. They take their revenge on each other through writing stories for the class, each with some meaning for the other person.

As a writer, I found this story interesting. I completely connected with how Erin felt she could only see criticism and would forget all the praise she'd gotten on a story. I do the exact same thing. We writers can be fragile people. And I found some techniques Hunter used in his stories very intriguing, and might try to incorporate them into some of my classwork.

All that being said, the ending was a nice twist on the traditional teen romance, but I felt like I connected more with the present-day Erin and Hunter than with past Erin and Hunter. (Disclaimer: I am a huge fan of developed back stories, as both Griffin's Song/Wind Chaser/Balancing Act reflect. Especially the latter.) I understood their conflicted relationship in college, but not so much all the emotional turmoil of their past.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Next up: The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan

No comments:

Post a Comment