Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Legend

Okay, so I also just finished off The Mermaid's Mirror by L. K. Madigan. But I don't have many positive things to say about it, so I've chosen not to review it. Instead, here is a review of a book I enjoyed immensely: Legend by Marie Lu.

It reminded me of a dystopian version of Tamora Pierce's Trickster's Choice.

Legend follows June Iparis, an elite fifteen-year-old in the Republic's army, specializing in...well...everything. She can scale a building, shoot a gun, and track with the best of them. Her first assignment? Tracking the Republic's most wanted criminal, and the killer of her brother, Day. Day is trying to earn money to cure his Plague infested family, who believes him to be dead. June and Day discover the secrets of the Republic, and along the way, each other.

The things I loved about this novel (while numerous) were specific. The entire book was sharp, and mentioned tons of little details from June's perspective. Things she has learned to look for in investigations that are now habit. But the details aren't so numerous that they make the story drag. I feel like there are some fantasy novels that do this, as well as other genres. Legend avoids this. Also, the action. There was no deadline, but the whole thing was tense. I finished it in one day. It would have been one sitting if I hadn't had to work.

Read it!

Goodreads Rating: 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I loved this one, too! I listened to it on audiobook while I was driving during the book tour. I thought it was a shame it came out so late in the dystopian game because I think if it'd been published a couple of years ago when dystopia was young it would've done really well. Harder for it to stand out now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I completely agree! It's intricate, but accessible. But it's gotten attention because the movie rights have been sold. The sequel, Prodigy, is slotted to be published in January!

    ReplyDelete