Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Fellowship of the Ring

Continuing my quest into geekdom, I tackled The Fellowship of the Ring over the last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Most of my friends love comic books, Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, you name it. I am proud to be both a nerd and a geek. And what nerd hasn't read The Lord of the Rings trilogy?

I liked this book a bit more than the Hobbit. I know some people haven't enjoyed the first chapter because it's more whimsical, but that's why I enjoy it so much. Seeing how Bilbo set his affairs in order in the Shire was funny and appropriate. And it lightened the mood so it could darken it. I won't bother detailing the plot here - I expect most of my readers already know it.

There were parts I, as a writer, would have cut, but I have no quibble with Tolkien. Mary and Pippin provide banter that I greatly enjoyed, Aragorn was satisfyingly mysterious, and the Mines of Moria were more than creepy for my liking. And I can say without doubt that I will still enjoy the movie even after reading the book, which can't be said about everything.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars
Next up, I shall begin The Two Towers, as I work through The Scorch Trials by James Dashner.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I came over here from Nathan Bransford's blog, and as a (soon to be) college writer, finding this blog made my day.

    I'm a huge LotR fan, but I have to say The Return of the King is my favorite. I must've blew through that in two days. I still love The Fellowship of the Ring (and I totally agree about Moria--very creepy).

    Anyway, good luck with your summer reading challenge!

    ReplyDelete