Friday, August 3, 2012

City of Bones

Finally I have a review for ya'll! I've been working through The Fellowship of the Ring as well as Sense and Sensibility, but yesterday I picked up City of Bones by Cassandra Clare on a whim and I just finished it now on my lunch break.

An overview: Clary Fray has never felt like she belongs anywhere, and she has shockingly few memories of her childhood. After an odd encounter at a New York nightclub with some teenagers only she can see, things in Clary's life begin to change. Fast. Her mother mysteriously disappears, and Clary is sucked into the world of the Shadow Hunters, who slay demons and the odd werewolf or vampire. Jace the Hunter and Simon her "mundane" human friend are her constant companions on the journey to discover who or what took Clary's mother, and why. These adventures lead them through Warlock apartments, many churches, an abandoned hotel, as well as an abandoned asylum for smallpox patients! And finding out these secrets may save the entire Shadow Hunter population, or destroy it.

My comments: I absolutely loved this book. Kinda why I read it in two days, when it's almost 500 pages. The world is beautifully crafted, and incorporates paranormal information (werewolves heal quickly, kelpies eat certain food, elves actually are small and bite) that seemed natural. The dialogue is snappy and the plot had my heart racing a few times. I was disappointed when I finally had to go to bed, and this book was the first thing I grabbed when I woke up (after my glasses). I was surprised to find out there were 5 books in The Mortal Instruments series, but I'm ready and willing to find out where this story goes.

Read it.

Goodreads Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment