Wednesday, August 22, 2012

In Which I Scream

I am proud to announce that as of mid-morning yesterday, the first draft of Balancing Act is complete! The Shiny New Idea came to me in April, and here I am five months later with a copy sitting in my files. Complete at 62,000 words, I have so much wiggle room to work with.

The problem with Griffin's Song was that I overwrote. I didn't feel like I could add anything to it while editing because I needed to cut so much out. And there is already so much I want to add to Balancing Act. I'm letting myself be happy for a few days though, before ripping my novel a new one. It's still sinking in that here I am, a sophomore in college, and I have written three books.

None of them are published, mind you, but I'm a lot closer than I used to be. I have grown as a writer, and as a reader. I now even have glasses as a badge of my dedication to the written word. I sacrificed sleep, and time with family and friends to make these books come to fruition. They drove me crazy, and I actually became a little depressed while writing Balancing Act because I fit myself too much into Callie's character.

All that work, sweat, and days spent living in an invisible land. And the only thing I could think of all day long was: what do I write next?

That's my life, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment