Friday, August 17, 2012

Editing During Drafting

I am not one of those people who can write an entire draft without changing it along the way. In the case of Wind Chaser I did because I wrote it for NaNoWriMo, but for Griffin's Song and all the other WIPs I have, I can't just let them stay the way they were while drafting.

And here's how I edit:

I do multiple things. For one, if I'm blocked, I'll go back and read what I've already written and tweak little things like dates, and small mistakes of continuity I wasn't aware would be important. It really helps if I read out loud. Most times this will serve as an effective way to knock out a block because I'm actively putting myself into my characters' lives.

I research. Balancing Act required reading about complex gymnastics moves as well as ankle surgery. I've undergone physical therapy, so that part was a cinch. But I also had to look into dinner cruises in Oregon and the medical requirements for different branches of the military. Unsure where I'm going to put that so far, but I know it'll come up.

I make a list. As I've stated in previous posts, I adore lists. I have a day planner for university for my homework and chores, and I have a much longer list that I use on weekends when I have projects, homework, social engagements, and chores. The love applies to writing as well. I create a "Things to Fix" document and on it put all the things I want to improve with my draft. That way it's off my mind. Normally this means the big things like character arcs or back stories, or even a huge change in plot.

So there you have it. Still think I'm not OCD?

No comments:

Post a Comment