Monday, August 20, 2012

Cover Art

A little over a week ago I read this post and watched the corresponding video. Like any other author out there I've dreamed of holding a copy of my book and ooohing and awwwing over the cover. I've even pictured what I'd like it to be.

And like any person out there, I've looked at book covers and thought "what in the world could this possibly say about the content?"

After watching the video, I understand it a lot more. And it's actually changed how I look at covers. Take the following cover, for instance:

If you read my last post, you know the summary of this story. It involved college and a cute boy and a horse farm and New York City. Now, the girl on this cover is cute, as is the little bit of the boy we see. But what does this say about the story? A week ago I would have said "nothing that I can see." But now, here's my speculation.

The main character is a writer, and she spends a lot of time in the book overanalyzing her relationship with Hunter, and what specific actions and words would portray. Did I mention she's a writer? This is soooo what we do. Comes with the territory. Therefore, Erin spends a lot of time in her head. And I think a close-up of the main character looking a little tired and not quite at peace says a lot about Love Story.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment