Sunday, July 22, 2012

Schedules

I love schedules. It's the same as my love of deadlines. If I don't have them, I won't follow them. During the school year I have a very planned morning routine so that I can do it without needing to be completely awake.

So it seemed the natural thing to create a schedule for summer. Part of it was very easy, since I have a full time job, and that blots out a big chunk of hours. But I know myself - if I don't have deadlines I won't get anything done. And the best way for me to reach a deadline? A schedule. I want to finish the first draft of Balancing Act by the end of the summer. I also have my summer reading project, which hosts some pretty hefty titles (I'm looking at you Gone With the Wind). Then yesterday a friend sent me an old list of the top 100 movies. I scanned it, and found I was woefully behind in my movie watching. So I'd also try to make some headway in that list.

With all of this going on, in addition to my job, I decided I needed a schedule. So I sat down this morning and plotted it out, so I know exactly what I can be doing to proceed with each of my goals. Audio books in the car, a movie as I get ready in the morning, working on Balancing Act at night, and reading a paperback at lunch.

We'll see how long I'm able to stick to a summer schedule. But I hope to get through books more quickly, as my pace slowed this month. Also, I'd like to continue the progress I've been making in Balancing Act, which is now up to 36k.

Do you work well with schedules?

No comments:

Post a Comment