Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Hobbit

Even though most of you out there have probably read this, or are at least somewhat familiar with the plot, I thought I'd put some thoughts out there. This was one of my favorite books as a child. I don't remember how many times I listened to it on tape, or read my large copy of the book (complete with pictures). I think I know why I loved it then - there was a dragon, and treasure, and lots of music, and funny subtle jokes. I grew up on subtle sarcasm, and loved it even back then.


I'll do a short plot synopsis in case some of you have been living in a hobbit hole your entire life. Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit, and is quite comfortable living alone in Bag End until Gandalf the wizard comes looking for someone with which to share an adventure. With the company of 13 dwarfs, Bilbo travels a long way to The Lonely Mountain to get rid of a dragon hoarding treasure. Along the way he meets elves, goblins, trolls, giant spiders, and many other things.

There is something about British writing that I love. There's a cadence to it, in Tolkien, in Rowling, it's just *there*.

Still working on The Floating Islands, and starting up The Fellowship of the Ring.

Goodreads Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment