Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Floating Islands

In a new determination to complete my summer reading project, I have started reading multiple books at once. When I was living with my parents this was the norm for me, as I had dozens, nay, hundreds of books at my fingertips at any given time. I would have three of four next to my bed, another on my desk, and one or two in my backpack.

College changed things. I have very limited space for books, and I haven't entirely committed to my e-reader yet. But this summer I've had the luxury of having enough space for books again. Anyway, on to The Floating Islands. I loved this fantasy novel by Rachel Neumeier. It's cute, it's in depth, and it has people who fly. What's not to love?!

This novel follows Trei as he travels from Touloun to the Floating Islands after his family is killed in a volcanic explosion. He settles with his aunt, uncle, and cousin Araene. Araene wants to be a chef and absolutely hates that she has to follow a specific path laid by society. Trei joins the ranks of the flying men, Kajuraihi, and Araene sneaks out in boy's clothing to University lectures. Things begin to change as it looks like Touloun has a new trick to wage war against the Islands, and Araene discovers she could have the stirrings of magery in her, something that girls do not usually have in the Islands.

One of the reasons I loved this book was because it involved very distinct manners and codes of conduct. Honor played a central theme, as well as loyalty to family and country and friends. It could be described as a regency novel (which my own Griffin's Song has been labeled once). I loved the imagery and the talk of cooking made me hungry.

Read it!

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment