Friday, June 22, 2012

Success Stories

Hey! I thought I'd do a normal post to break up the reviews while I'm still working through The Red Pyramid. So far I'm liking it. Today's topic: successful queries. As I am on the cusp of sending out another wave of queries, it got me thinking about the greats. Neil Gaiman, J.K. Rowling, Stephen King. What did their queries (if applicable) look like? I would love to know.

I follow Query Shark, a blog with the intent of taking a bad query and turning it into a great one. The agent in charge of the blog shows where she would have stopped reading, and why that's the case. It's very informative. But I would love to see a proven successful query. Is there a book out there that is like this? If so, please let me know because I want to purchase a copy.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to see some of those authors' queries, too. Dunno if they're posted anywhere. Lots of authors do share theirs online, though. A good series, and particularly applicable to you as a YA writer, is this one at YA Highway:

    http://www.yahighway.com/search/label/query%20series

    They talk about the author and their book, and then share the actual query, and then the agent explains why it worked for them. Some good tips there, often.

    ReplyDelete