Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars

Okay, so I know I promised the next book I was going to read (and subsequently review) was The Red Pyramid. And in fact it is sitting next to me right now, just begging to be read. But I just recently acquired The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, and it came highly recommended so I read it in a sitting.

The novel follows Hazel Grace, a cancer survivor in the sense that her tumor growth has been stopped, but her lungs will never function properly. She spends her days reading depressing reflective books and poetry, and taking classes at the local community college. She also has to attend Support Group, which she hates, but does to make her mother happy. Enter Augustus Waters, a fellow cancer survivor with 1.4 legs. Long story short, they fall in love over their combined love of the book An Imperial Affliction, and their shared experiences with disease and being treated like one.

As with most books dealing with cancer or terminal illness (*cough* Jodi Piccoult), A Fault in Our Stars has some sad moments. But it also has it's funny moments. My favorite line: Time is a slut. She screws everybody.

Read it. That is all.

Goodreads Rating: 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. This is the first John Green book I've read and I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm pretty sure I didn't expect to be reading the last 40 pages through tears. It was definitely an outstanding book.

    ReplyDelete