Sunday, June 10, 2012

Ender's Game

I read this book for a history class when I was in the 8th grade, and it is still brilliant. Possibly even more so, now that I can see how everything was put together. At once Ender's Game manages to be both sci-fi and dystopian. There is a regime in place that puts the world under militaristic rule in order to keep the peace among the countries. The primary characters are Ender, Peter, and Valentine Wiggin, all geniuses in a world on the cusp of inter-stellar war with the buggers.

There are so many praises I could sing for this book - how well the world-building was done, how the author Orson Scott Card obviously did his research, and how real the characters seemed in their interactions. Pride and honor and humanity are all tested in this novel until you don't know whether Ender, the central character, should be used as a tool to save the human race, or if humans are worth saving at all if they are willing to use Ender as a tool.

Orson Scott Card is renowned in the literary world, and if you haven't picked up one of his books, you need to. Ender's Game was a nice way to kick off my Summer Reading Project. For more information, see the new tab at the top of the page. While I'm in New York I'll be diving into Lost Voices and Paranormalcy. This may change of course, depending on the space available in my luggage.

Happy Monday, everyone!

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars

4 comments:

  1. I read this last year and have to admit it fell a little flat for me. I think I missed that it was supposed to be a novel about character, not about plot, and so I kept waiting for the pivotal plot moments that never really happened. And I think I missed understanding the story's purpose because I couldn't really connect with Ender as a character, I didn't like him much, so I was reading the book for the plot. I just finished Finnikin of the Rock, which is really well-reviewed, and kinda felt the same thing - like the story was about people and character growth and I couldn't fully appreciate it because I wasn't crazy about the protagonist.

    Enjoy New York! And also the books. I haven't read Lost Voices, but I did like Paranormalcy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to see how they do the Ender's Game movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seabrooke - that is a really interesting point you bring up! I can see how that would effect your reading of the novel. Do you think you would enjoy it more now that you know it's character driven?
    Nicole - I didn't even know they were making Ender's Game into a movie! The Great Gatsby, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps a little more... but part of the problem was that I didn't really like Ender as a character much. It's not that I dislike character-driven novels so much as I really need to be able to relate to the character in order to enjoy them, because I can't just turn to the plot instead. I really enjoyed Gayle Foreman's If I Stay, as an example of a character-driven story that worked for me.

    ReplyDelete