Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hitting Your Stride

Now I am a firm non-believer in waiting for the muse to strike you. I believe in going after inspiration with a mallet and beating it into submission. If you waited all day for the muse to strike, you could die of old age before writing a single word.

But sometimes the muse does strike, and when it does you have to go with the flow. A few months back I read a post by Kiersten White, author of Paranormalcy, in which she told how she wrote a book in 9 days. That's right, 9 days. She had been captured by a story and it wasn't going to let her go until she wrote it.

Now I had something similar occur while writing Wind Chaser for NaNoWriMo, but I had an outline prepared and the first of the duology complete. Yesterday I was again struck by inspiration, which I channeled into Balancing Act. The word count for that WIP is now at 27k. Hopefully today will hold the same inspiration.

How wonderful it is to have time to write again. Yesterday I outlined and wrote about 20 pages. Today I at least want to write another 10. If the inspiration does not strike, I have a mallet nearby.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for inspiration! I love those moments when it all seems to come together and flow. Hope it stays with you!

    And yeah, Kiersten White's 9-day book is pretty astounding. I wonder how much of it she'd planned out and outlined in advance so when she sat down to write she could just write it all without having to pause to figure out the next bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I definitely agree with your attitude toward the muse. ;)

    ReplyDelete