Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What Do I Do Now?

I hadn't watched current TV shows since Friends ended. I watched old ones like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie, and even some Love Boat. This changed once I went to college. This came on because of nights I didn't have new books, social plans, or more homework. So this year I watched: Firefly, Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, and How I Met Your Mother. As in, I watched all of them from season 1. Or only season 1 in the case of Firefly.

Now that the seasons are over, I have nothing to watch. Each show I loved for something specific. Firefly: worldbuilding, banter Big Bang Theory: research and "fish out of water" comedy Two and a Half Men: tips on disgusting comedy and what goes on in a womanizer's mind How I Met Your Mother: plot consistency and foreshadowing.

I try to use a bit of all these things in my writing. Well...perhaps one day I'll use the Two and a Half Men tips. My current WIP doesn't have a womanizer.

I've heard great things about Downton Abbey, so maybe I'll start watching that. I'd like your suggestions though.

What are your favorite TV shows and why?

2 comments:

  1. For writing, I think it would be hard to go wrong with the new Doctor Who series -- the show's writers are top-notch ("Don't Blink" may be the cleverest hour of scripted television I've ever seen), and the show's premise lets them do a ton of interesting things (they can resurrect characters, interact with people on "different timelines" so that it's a 2nd meeting for one of them but a 1st meeting for the other, etc.). I'd definitely suggest giving it a shot (it's streaming on Netflix, if you have it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion, Mr. Rosenzweig! I've tried House, and found that I don't care very much for medical dramas. However, I have always been fascinated with time travel and its intricacies, so Dr. Who sounds like a good show for me!

    ReplyDelete