Friday, May 25, 2012

Triple Crown

I adore horses. I've been to rodeos, watched the Triple Crown races multiple times, rode gymnkana for five years, and competed in it for a while. I love riding horses, watching horses, reading about them.

Unfortunately, thoroughbred racing has seen a decline in interest over the past few years. I suspect it's because there hasn't been a Triple Crown winner in 34 years, since Affirmed won it. I just read a very interesting article about the decline in interest, and the colt I'll Have Another, who has a shot at the Crown in the Belmont Stakes this year. I know I'll be watching the Belmont. But that's nothing new for me.

If any of you know any good YA or adult novels about horses, please let me know. The last one I read was a great disappointment.

And Happy Friday!

4 comments:

  1. When I was growing up I followed the Triple Crown races with my family every year, getting excited about the horses and sitting on the edge of my seat whenever a Derby/Preakness winner was about to start the Belmont (only to come in second or third... or worse). The last ones I remember paying lots of attention to were Fusaichi Pegasus, and then Barbaro. I was away on tour for the first couple of races this year, so I hadn't heard about this colt. Think he stands a chance?

    As for horse books, I recently read The Scorpio Races by Maggie Steifvater. Have you read it? She really captures what it is to love a horse, I think. Give it a few chapters to get into it; I started out, in the first few chapters, expecting it to be a three-star book but it kept growing on me and I ended up giving it five stars on Goodreads. I cried at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he does! Not as much as I thought Big Brown had a chance a couple years back, but he seems capable. He came from the back and just blew the competition away. I would love to see another Triple Crown winner. Just writing this makes me want to watch Secretariat.

    I have not read The Scorpio Races, actually! Thanks for the suggestion :) I'll add it to the TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to the Derby this year and watched the Preakness finish online. I'm so excited to see how I'll Have Another does in the Belmont!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous you got to see the Derby!! It's on my bucket list to see it.

    ReplyDelete