Monday, May 21, 2012

Too Close

I've told you all about my new writing project, which I waited to get far enough into to make sure it wasn't going to flop. Tentatively titled Balancing Act, this novel is the first time I've used some of my personal experiences to flavor the characters, more specifically Callie. Callie is an ex-gymnast whose career was ruined by a horrible landing on vault which resulted in surgery on her ankle. Now, almost a year later she is trying to figure out what she's going to do with her life, and is roped into being an assistant coach for her high school team.

My inspiration for this story came from my own experience. The first line is: "My ankle always let me know when it was about to rain." For some of you out there who have broken a major bone, have you ever experienced how sometimes it will stiffen up and ache when it rains?

That's what happened to me. I took gymnastics lessons for six years when I was younger, but had to give it up when my gym moved and school started getting more demanding. Then in my junior year of high school I joined the team and was varsity on balance beam and vault. At least, until I landed badly on a turned ankle.

Working on this book has brought up a lot of old emotion, and showed me just how much I was affected by gymnastics. I always point my toes when I'm sitting down. And I really miss being as flexible as I used to be. I hated watching all my friends on the team competing in meets while I sat there in my clunky cast. It's brought up a lot of old feelings.

Have you ever written something that you know a lot about? Something painful that makes it hard to read sometimes?

2 comments:

  1. That's a great opening line! I was a swimmer in h.s., and I imagine I'd feel much the say way if I tried to write about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one out there with these feelings :) It's hard to relate sometimes when I see sports memoirs in stores, because sports really were the center of those people's lives, whereas I had school to focus on as well.

    ReplyDelete