Thursday, May 17, 2012

Bitterblue

Topping the scales at a whopping 539 pages, Bitterblue is not for the faint of heart. It is the companion to Fire and the sequel to Graceling, and is told from the Queen of Monsea, Bitterblue, who is trying to help her country as it tries to forget and heal from the abuses of her father's reign.

I'll say it up front: I liked Graceling and Fire more. While I loved Bitterblue, and her determination to fix everything all at once, there were a few things I found bothersome. Not the ciphers that fill pages. No, I love those things. If I had the patience to write in cipher I totally would. It was all the plot points that were introduced that seemed to go nowhere. Relationship plot lines, mystery plotlines, characters that were introduced but didn't seem to have a specific purpose*. At some point they just drifted away. And I felt bad for those characters, because their story was not finished.

I won't give any spoilers away. I thought Bitterblue was well-written and I love the protagonist's habit of doing complicated math in order to clear her mind. As a hopeless math-phobic, I salute her from afar.

Don't let this review put you off. I still enjoyed Bitterblue, and felt content when I put it down. If you're looking for another Graceling, you're not going to get it. You're going to read something unique. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars

*(don't read if you don't want spoilers) I wanted her to end up with Giddon. -pout-

No comments:

Post a Comment