Thursday, May 31, 2012

Maybe This Wasn't Such A Good Idea

The project that has been on the forefront of my mind this month is Balancing Act. I've been writing, editing, writing up notes on what I want to include and character quirks, and watching Make It Or Break It to remind myself of some of the mechanics of gymnastics training. Because, let's face it, it's been a while since I was seriously involved in the sport.

The downside? I miss gymnastics more than ever. I used to be able to do a back walkover, no problem, because of a quirk with my back. Now I can barely do a decent bridge because so many of my other muscles developed from horseback riding and walking up so many stairs day after day.

The last two nights I've lain awake, remembering the moment I broke my ankle on vault. It makes my heart race to remember the pain. And I can't even begin to explain the regret I feel, that if I had just turned my ankle a little bit, I would have completed the move and gone on to compete at varsity level at the biggest meet of the season.

But maybe that's a good thing. It means the emotions in Balancing Act are more real. I can describe them because I lived them. Not an autobiography, but still real. It just means some difficult nights remembering what I've lost.

1 comment:

  1. I bet your readers will be able to feel those emotions come through in Balancing Act! Way to channel it into your writing.

    ReplyDelete