Thursday, April 19, 2012

Normal Programming

We shall interrupt out normal programming for a loving gush about studying history. Perhaps it is my love of reading and creating worlds that made my love of history. Or maybe it was vice versa. Either way, I like understanding what happened in history and why. Also, as I'm sure you are aware, some weird s**t went down, way back when.

Yesterday in my African History class my teacher described this scene: So this dude Mansa Musa, king of Mali, went on a pilgrimage to Mecca in 1324. He brought with him a huge entourage and an even larger amount of gold. Along the way he stopped at a salt mine, went through the desert, and then made a pit-stop in Cairo. He dropped so much money there that he caused a temporary depression in the value of gold in Cairo. I mean, wow. You have to spend a *lot* of money to hurt the economy.

I love hearing stories like this. They are so weird and interesting. Plus, there are times when it helps my writing. For instance, last quarter in my Golden Age of Spain course, we spent an hour learning about oceanic navigation. Rather relevant to Griffin's Song.

Anyway, back to normal programming tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hee. That's a neat story. I really like the stories of history, but I don't enjoy studying it. It was always my least favourite subject in school because it's 100% fact memorization, which I suck at (I'm way better at conceptual learning). But I enjoy reading historical fiction for the window into past cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy history, too! There are some great, intriguing (sometimes crazy) characters throughout the years. I got a history major for fun, and even though I don't use it day-to-day, I'm so glad I have it!

    ReplyDelete