Monday, April 2, 2012

Is It Seriously April?

It's unbelievable how fast time has gone this school year. I remember elementary school dragging on and on until you felt like you might as well just bring a sleeping bag and your favorite barbie and live under your desk. Now I am actually living at school, and it's amazing to realize that I am almost done. Only April, May, and a tiny bit of June left to go, and I'll be done with my Freshman year.

I've heard from adults that time starts to jump more quickly as you get older. So far I believe it. It seems like (to use a cliche) just yesterday I unpacked my boxes in my new dorm. And just last week when I graduated high school.

But I also noticed that I remember much more of the time that has gone quickly than the time that went slowly. My parents tell me that when I was younger I got to see the Redwoods in California. I have absolutely no recollection of this. However, now that I'm older I remember separate trips to Orange County, and how bad the weather was on different excursions to the malls around me. I remember much more now that I'm older.

Have you experienced this? Do you think this is a positive or a negative?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, yes. I can't believe we're already at April, either. I'm a little scared to think how fast time will be moving for me in another thirty years... On the one hand, it's nice that bad experiences pass quickly and the anticipation of things you're excited about doesn't last long, but on the other, all the good experiences are done in the blink of an eye, and deadlines sneak up on you *really* quickly.

    I'm not sure about the memory stuff. I remember little of my childhood, too, just small bits and pieces, no more than snapshots. I remember more from recent years, but as events slip farther into the past, what I remember about them becomes less. It may just be a function of the age of the memories. Perhaps in twenty years what I remember about my summer in California will be as much as I remember about my family trip to Vermont/Maine when I was ten.

    Hopefully the speed of your freshman year means you enjoyed it! I remember feeling like university stretched on forever for me, but then it was like I turned around and suddenly it was over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it's April either! February seemed to last forever for me, but March flew by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, weird. When I go to the post directly, it shows no comments. After I submitted that last comment, then popped up my first one and Nicole's. So I deleted my new one, then came back to the post... and there're no comments shown. Wonder what's going on there.

    ReplyDelete