Friday, April 13, 2012

Frustrating Interruptions

Since I promised myself this quarter that I was going to maintain a social life, and since the weather has been beautiful, which is so weird for April, my writing has been going slowly. Generally I'll write a bit before I go to bed, or if I get that undefinable urge. Well, yesterday I had that urge because part of the plot of my current WIP clicked. Normally this would mean disconnecting the internet and clacking away at the keys for at least an hour. Unfortunately however, I was walking to class when this happened.

So what did I do? As soon as I got to class I pulled out a notebook and wrote down everything I could think of, and then wrote a rudimentary scene to get a few key phrases down. I may have annoyed my teacher. The class only has 5 people in it, and I sit across from him. Ah well. Since I'm the only English/History major in an English class about History, I don't think it'll last long.

But this event brings up the problems of inopportune epiphanies. I've written previously about the helpfulness of showers. But what happens when we don't have a chance to write when we want to? When our day-to-day lives gets in the way? I try to keep a notebook with me, or at least my iPod so I can type up basic ideas. It's never as satisfying as writing continuously for an hour or two.

What do you do when you have an idea and you aren't near a computer/paper?

1 comment:

  1. I wrote the first several chapters of one WIP during college classes. ;)

    Now, I carry around a mini tape-recorder so I can capture all my ideas.

    ReplyDelete