Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Entwined

This novel by Heather Dixon is a retelling of the old tale of the Twelve Dancing Princesses. This is the second retelling I've read this year, the first one being Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George. And I think I liked it better than Entwined. However, there were some very amusing parts dealing with an overprotective king, and an aggressive pair of sugar teeth.

Entwined also looks at the complexities of grief and father-daughter relationships, which I found very interesting. However, I thought there were parts where the plot lagged in order to use up time, as the plot is supposed to take place over the course of a year of mourning.

This is actually an interesting point, and it will probably make me look at Griffin's Song. For those of you who don't know, Sarah's story takes place over a year as well. Overall, I would recommend Entwined to people looking for an easy read. The margins are wide and there's space between the lines. I will say one last thing: the villain is seriously creepy, and it progresses throughout the book. Well done, Miss Dixon, well done.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. I'd never heard of this one before.

    ReplyDelete