Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Beginning the Query

Perhaps one of my favorite quotes about query letters comes from Nathan Bransford, author of Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow, and here it is: "A query letter is part business letter, part creative writing exercise, part introduction, part death defying leap through a flaming hoop."

For those of you who have been reading this blog since summer, you'll know that I had already created a query letter and was making up a list of agencies to send it off to. I discovered some extremely useful sites that helped me gauge if I could be a good fit, or if the agency was a scam. And I sent a few letters off.

I can proudly say, looking back, that I made every mistake in the book. I had no idea how to format a query letter, what contact information to include, or how long it should be. I got a few personal rejections, but the majority were form. I respect those agencies for rejecting Old Me. New Me would be worried if they'd taken on a client with such a terrible query letter.

Well, here we are now. The sequel to Griffin's Song is in edits, and Griffin's Song itself is about 30k words shorter after multiple edits. My new letter was sent off to my marvelous critique partner, Seabrooke, and I am almost ready to start querying agents.

Wish me luck! And for those of you querying out there, remember to do your research. It may take forever, but it is so worth it in the end.

3 comments:

  1. Yaaay! That's so exciting, to be on the cusp of querying. I'll have my fingers crossed for you! I hope you get some bites early.

    And I'm glad you're still calling me marvelous after all the red pen I sent back... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Querying is both exciting and nervewracking. :) And Nathan always has great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, everyone! And Seabrooke, the red pen is what makes me love your edits. You're trying to make me better instead of saying "Oh it's just wonderful, don't change a thing!" I've got my non-writer friends for that. :)

    ReplyDelete