Monday, March 26, 2012

What Is Your Favorite Tense/POV?

I've dabbled in many tenses, and so far find the third person past tense is my favorite way to write. Both Griffin's Song and Wind Chaser were written in that way. Some of my short stories for class have experimented with the first person, but it never felt quite right. However, I've found many of the books I've enjoyed lately have been first person present tense. Divergent for example, and Lola and the Boy Next Door.

What is it that makes us enjoy writing a certain way, yet read differently? Do you have a tense/POVyou prefer to write in, or do you jump all over the place?

Okay, that's a rather short post, but I'll make it better with a cute picture! Happy Monday!
A guinea pig wearing a tiny sombrero.

4 comments:

  1. I've tried out a bunch of POV/tenses, too. I started out in third/past, and I've also tried first/present, but first/past is really what feels most comfortable for me. I'm writing my third novel in first/past right now. I must admit I worry a bit that it'll be harder to make each novel feel different in first than if I were writing in third, because you don't have the benefit of the names being different (it's always "I").

    I don't know that I have a preferred POV/tense to read in. As long as the story's good, I tend to not notice. Unless I'm switching back and forth between writing my past-tense WIP and reading a present-tense book, which can throw me off sometimes.

    I guess your two WIPs are both third/past?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you've found a tense you like, though! And I wouldn't worry overly about making them feel different. As long as you flesh out the characters all will be well. :)

    And yeah, both Water and Fire and Wings are in third/past. I tried starting Wing out in first/past but it didn't sound right for the character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer to read and write in third/past, but more and more stories these days are going to first person. It's growing on me. I've got a first-person middle grade in the works, so we'll see how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First present is my first true love. On the book I'm working on now, I opted for multiple POV third-limited/past tense. It's way less personal but gives more room to move.

    ReplyDelete