Thursday, February 16, 2012

Living Vicariously

I haven't had an especially calm life. Granted, I've been in maybe one or two very dangerous situations, but I've done a lot with my eighteen years. But still, not as much as some. I did gymnastics for 6 years, which certainly ain't for the fainthearted. Then I horseback rode for another 6 in one of the hardest, fastest areas of the sport: gaming. I've been bucked off and landed on my head, shoved into a barbed fence, gotten multiple bone bruises. I've broken my ankle. I've traveled to Europe and been part of a bomb scare.

That is actually me up there!
But I lead a relatively safe existence. And my characters are ways of expressing all things I wish I had the nerve to say and the nerve to do. One of my dreams is to spend at least a month on a ship (not a cruise ship). And hi-ho, I get to write about Sarah's days on a ship. I dream of flying and there you go, Caelyn wants her wings. I enjoy spectacles of water and fire, and what do you know, Garrett and Serafina can control those elements.

I guess what I'm getting at is, my characters are the way I live when I can't do the things I wish I could. I dream about what I'd do, and leave it to them to figure out the details. My characters are little bits and pieces of me. The closest I've ever gotten to flying is parasailing. The only way I can control the elements is by turning on the faucet and building a campfire.

I'm so jealous of my characters.

What about you?

4 comments:

  1. This is very true! My stories end up reflecting my own wishes, too. I've daydreamed about both magic and parapsychological skills since I was young - and since I'll never be able to do either myself, I can live vicariously through my characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a really good point here. I hadn't actually considered this as being an aspect of my writing... but it turns out, as I think about it, that a lot of the things that I wish for turn up in my writing. Some of them are obvious, like flying - don't we all sort of wish that one? - and some of them are more subtle, like finding acceptance or accepting the past.

    Found you via your comment on Nathan Bransford's blog. (love that blog, btw.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes - I do this all the time! It's so fun to put our characters in the situations we hope to never be in (but secretly kind of hope we are, even though we'd be terrified and not act nearly as cool as our characters). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know I've nominated you for the Sunshine Award! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete