Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Keeping Away the Stress

So it was a productive weekend, but not for school. My family and I trekked to the coast and I worked in the family store. I can't believe how much I missed it. I haven't worked since summer ended, because I wasn't allowed to work when I went down for Thanksgiving. It took a few passes to get used to the cash register again, and to re-memorize the prices of everything.

For two days I worked an 8 hour shift and then watched movies and ate dinner with my family. It was amazing. I can't wait to work again this summer. I must be one weird teenager.

Anyways, I also worked on Wings some more, writing a couple chapters. I also started reading Delirium, which reminds me a lot of Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series, where something is surgically "cured" in humans to keep them from causing wars.

All of this served to keep the wolf (in this case stress) from the door. In a little over a week I find out if I made it to the second round of the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Contest. I also get back my midterms later this week. And I have reading to do. And need to start my final paper for one class. And a portfolio for another.

Gah. I'm going to stop talking about it now because it's making me stressed just to think about it.

What do you do to get rid of stress? Does it involve writing or reading?

1 comment:

  1. Definitely reading, for me, though I admit for the most part I don't get too stressed about things. I used to... but I guess over the years I've come to realize stress is pretty useless, especially when there's nothing you can do about a thing anyway. It drives D nuts that I don't stress over things more. The main time I get stressed is at deadlines, like with course assignments and stuff (a huge bonus of not being in school anymore: fewer deadlines).

    Glad you enjoy helping out at the family store so much. It's nice to have a job that you look forward to - so many people don't.

    ReplyDelete