Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Horror...

of not having time to read for pleasure. A few weeks ago I was plowing through my TBR pile, very happy indeed. Now I'm lucky to have a few minutes before class to sneak in a couple pages. And my kindle gift card ran out so I'm rereading Divergent in anticipation of Insurgent.

That's why I didn't post a weekly page count yesterday. It's just too depressing to look at all the reading I did for school and know I'll have to do it all over again tomorrow.

You can take this many ways
Which brings me to a new topic. Were there ever points in your life where you didn't want to read? And I don't mean for a couple weeks because you were busy, but months or even years between serious binges.

I had one a few years ago and didn't even notice it. I was just starting high school and found a fun group of friends. Then there were the classes which required so much more thinking than the ones in middle school. It wasn't until my junior year when I realized how little I'd been reading. So even though I was taking an AP class and pre-calc (ugh - calculus is so much easier than pre-calc) and chemistry, I began bringing a book to school every day.

And I regained my title as the school bookworm.

Where there periods where you didn't want to read? What caused them?

1 comment:

  1. I've had a couple periods like this - one in the second half of high school when I got involved in practically everything except the sports teams and had very little free time (I did still read a little bit then, just not much); and another after graduating university when I started dating D, because his apartment was a one-room bachelor and the TV would always be on, and there was no quiet space for me to go and read, plus I hadn't gotten around to getting a library card in my new town. And after a while you just fall out of the habit, as I'm sure you know, and it's hard to get yourself back into.

    Hope your school reading wraps up soon so you can get back to the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete