Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy leap Year!

I know there's probably a lot of posts out there celebrating this extra day of the year. But I think I'll add to it anyways. In the midst of these hectic weeks filled with writing papers and conferences about writing papers, and then more writing papers, it's nice to step back for a moment.

If there's one thing I've learned this quarter is that observation is important. I used to think of myself as an observer. People would be surprised when I acknowledged something they did when they didn't think anyone would notice. I was the only person to pick up on the fact that a couple was going to break up that day, and when I wished the girl luck, she was completely shocked and grateful that someone had seen she was feeling nervous.

I've been taking an English class where we have to keep a journal of observations, just a few each week. And in looking for those observations, I was surprised by how much I saw. A tiny bird flying at a branch but being to heavy for it and ended up hanging upside down. A missing brick in a path that was filling up with rain water. I have dozens more, but I won't bore you with them.

I suppose my advice for this extra day is to let yourself be receptive to the things around you. You may be trapped in your mind, but just for today let it free. You'll be surprised how much you see.

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts. And yours is actually the only blog I follow that has recognized leap day. :) Kudos.

    ReplyDelete