Monday, January 30, 2012

Why Do You Write?

It was last quarter when I took a course about getting published. One of the first questions the instructor asked us was "Why do you want to get published?" And for a few minutes, I was stumped. Why did I want to be published? It had always seemed like something I needed to do, or a natural extension of loving to write. But really, why did I feel like my writing needed to be read by other people?

I still don't completely know. On the more practical hand, learning about the publishing industry is the first step to entering the field as I'd like to. It also introduces me to a new world of which I was previously unaware.  Then there is the less practical reason. When I was little my father used to take me to book stores. I'd ask him, "Can I get this book?" and he would say, "Only if you can read the first page to me." And it was always so exciting, cracking open a new book, or reading jackets to find my new companion.

I'd like for my books to be an adventure for someone, a new companion.

Why do you write? Why do you want to be published?

Weekly Page Count: approximately 450 divided between Pretties and readings for school

2 comments:

  1. Why I write and why I want to be published are two different things. I did a post about why I write; in sum, it's because I get an addictive rush, a writing high that's not unlike reading an unputdownable book. I want to get published, however, less because I want to share my story with the world (though I do delight in having others read and love it, too) but because I want to be able to ride that writing high for a living, and it's hard to do that without getting published. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Seabrooke that why I write and why I want to be published are two different answers. I write because I must! It's like breathing and I can't ignore that passion. I want to publish because I love my characters and stories so much that I want to share them with pretty much everyone!! :)

    ReplyDelete