Wednesday, January 4, 2012

In Which I Bang My Head Against the Keyboard

Today just sucked. The only highlight was having dinner with some friends.

I'll spare ya'll the horrible details of the soggy-shoed, class-missing, lugging-13-books-a-mile-home, mess that was today.

Instead I'll tell you about the classes I'm taking this quarter. One is on the Golden Age of Spain, and is the source of 9 of the aforementioned 13 books. One of which needs to be read by Monday. And it's poetry. Yay. Anyways I find the subject fascinating, and the professor is paralleling the rise of Spain with the rise of America. So far so good.

I'm also taking a course on Race and Power in the US, and the teacher is funny. Yay for perks! Then finally is a course where creative writing faculty talk about their lives as writers and why they do what they do. The professor is the most scatter-brained one I've met so far, so we'll see how this goes.

In the reading world I've started Clockwork Angel. If you all have opinions on it, I'd love to hear them. Besides the Twilight series, I haven't read any paranormal. Well, to be honest it's because of the Twilight series. But that's a topic for another post.

Still looking for book suggestions! I've got a kindle gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

Here's hoping tomorrow is better, too :)

3 comments:

  1. Yay Clockwork Angel! This was my introduction into Cassandra Clare's writings, and I fell for her books hard. I wouldn't call myself a great fan of paranormal usually either (and I also wasn't crazy about Twilight), but I'd say paranormal plays a relatively small role in Clare's books compared to many. Probably only marginally more than it does in Harry Potter, for instance (there're ghosts and werewolves and all that in HP, too, but aside from Lupin, they're largely background). Clockwork Angel's probably the book that really prompted my full-out interest in YA as a genre. Not everyone loves Clare's books as much as I do, so I can't say how you'll feel about it, but she's possibly my favourite YA author at the moment. The sequel just came out, and I've been thinking I should re-read Clockwork Angel to refresh my memory.

    Not sure what sort of books you're interested in for recommendations... Here's my list of five-star-rated books from my Goodreads, perhaps some might appeal to you: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/5963609-seabrooke?shelf=five-star

    Sorry to hear you had a rough day. Hope curling up with some tea and a book will help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incidentally, actually, since you mention Twilight putting you off paranormal... Sunshine by Robin McKinley is a great antidote. It's also about vampires, but it's vampires done right, IMHO. It's one of my top-ten favourite books. I'm re-reading that one (on audiobook) for the third time right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover for Clockwork Angel literally made me stop and do a 180 in Barnes and Noble the other day. I love it! I haven't read it yet, but it's supposed to very good. You'll have to let us know what you think.

    As far as book recommendations - yay, I've got lots! What genres do you like?

    ReplyDelete