Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Houston, we have impact

I was reading a blog post the other day that brought up a very good point: that the books we come to love between the ages of twelve and fourteen have the potential to have a drastic impact on our lives. Maybe this is because it's during the awkward transition from child to teenager, or perhaps because we're particularly susceptible then. Whatever the reason, I agree with them.

When I was in that age range I absolutely adored The Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce. I wanted to be that fierce little redhead riding fearlessly into battle, my sword raised high, knowing my friends were at my back. Alanna changed my life. I read those books so many times I practically had them memorized.

Alanna made me brave, she gave me a safe place to come back to when I had a bad day. When I faced something scary I measured my reaction against what I thought hers would be.

What books have had a large impact on your life?

3 comments:

  1. Not only that, but I think for those books read in our formative years we often end up with a biased attachment - quite often we have sentimental fondness for the first whatevers.

    Having said that, though, I couldn't tell you for certain what I was reading through those years. I do have some sentimental attachment to a number of MG stories, even though I can no longer remember the plots of any of them, but I don't think it's the same sort of thing you have for Alanna; I can't remember any book moving me that strongly then.

    I do remember in grade 9, age 14, I discovered Anne McCaffrey's Pern, and that was HUGELY influential for a few years... and probably still is, insofar as my love of fantasy and dragons and such goes. Maybe I was just a late bloomer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's certainly possible that you were a late bloomer! Neither of my parents particularly cared for reading when they were young. Now we have enough books to fill a library. You should write about dragons sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to do a story about dragons. :) I've toyed a bit with it, but haven't come up with something I feel is suitably unique yet. There's either dragons as pets/mounts or dragons as the enemy, both of which have been done lots. And then Sophie Jordan's Firelight, where the MC is a dragon/human shapeshifter.

      Delete