Saturday, January 7, 2012

Follow Up


Since I got some really interesting comments on my last post, I figured I'd devote this Saturday morning to a review of Clockwork Angel and genres I love to read and why. Grab your coffee and cheerios, it's going to be a rough ride.
First off, Clockwork Angel. Um, can you say wow? It's been a while since a book made me feel sick to my stomach (in the good, oh lord that's gross, way, not the, "seriously, you thought that would be good to add?" way). But the references to such things as "skin" and "peeling" in the same sentence made me have to put down my chips until I finished the scene.

As far as the love story goes, I think I was more interested in what Will and Jem's back stories were than how they were interacting with Tessa. I was actually angry at the epilogue of this book because it left me on a cliffhanger about Will! Grrrr.

And there were some shockers that I really was not expecting and made me angry and disgusted at humanity, which since I think that's what Clare was trying to accomplish, is a good thing.

Overall, I loved the story, loved the characters and plot. Occasionally I thought it was going rather slow, but soon after I thought it, things would pick up. I will definitely read Clockwork Prince. This has renewed (or perhaps created) my faith in paranormal.

On to the next order of business. I am very flexible when it comes to the books I read. My favorite genre is fantasy, because I love the idea of magic and the beauties and evils that it can create. I'm also a fan of re-tellings of fairy tales. To date I've read Mermaid by Carolyn Sturgeon (The Little Mermaid), Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George (The Twelve Dancing Princesses), and East by Edith Pattou (East of the Sun and West of the Moon). I'm going to pick up Princess of Glass soon, which is a re-telling of Cinderella.

Ahem, as my keyboard runs away with me, I also enjoy dystopian, although here I am slightly pickier. Loved The Hunger Games, didn't really enjoy The Maze Runner. Sci-fi is also good, as long as the world-building is well done but the technology doesn't take the place of character development. There are other genres I'm not thinking of, but these are the bulk of the ones I read.

So there we go, I look forward to your insights, and have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad you enjoyed Clockwork Angel so much! That was pretty much how I came away from the book feeling, too.

    I think magic-based stories/worlds are among my favourites, too. There aren't that many out there, though, where the protagonist is a magic-handler and magic plays a central role to the plot. Not in recent YA, anyway. Most of the time magic is background or secondary.

    Also agree re: Hunger Games and Maze Runner. Really liked Divergent, liked Delirium, not so much Incarceron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you did the follow-up on what genres you enjoy! Here are some of my recent faves for you to check out:

    The Demon's Lexicon - Sarah Rees Brennan (Awesome and twisty YA urban fantasy)

    The Kane Chronicles - Rick Riordan (A fun MG fantasy series, similar to his Percy Jackson series)

    The Emerald Atlas - John Stephens (One of the most surprisingly fun reads of last year for me; another great MG fantasy)

    The Tairen Soul Series - CL Wilson (Epic fantasy/romance)

    The Fever Series - Karen Marie Moning (Urban fantasy)

    The Forever King - Warren Murphy and Molly Cochran (An awesome, gritty retelling of the Arthur legend in the modern world)

    Other Epic Fantasy Favorites: Dresden Files, Wheel of Time, anything by Brandon Sanderson, Anne McCaffrey or Sherwood Smith.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the suggestions, Seabrooke and Nicole! I'll definitely check some of those out.

    ReplyDelete